The Week That Was (TWTW)
I always dig it when people share what's on their cultural radar, so I'm launching a new series The Week That Was (TWTW) to touch upon mine, as well as other little bits and bobs that shaped my week. If you've read, watched, seen, heard, attended or tasted any of the stuff I mention, I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments!
- Even though my dad passed away two years ago, we still celebrate his birthday and their anniversary with my mom. Last Sunday would have been number 62. For a time, they had a room in their house pretty much devoted to drinking my dad's killer margaritas and eating nachos -- it was called the Nacho Room. Since the Nacho Room, sadly, is no longer, we took my Mom to their favorite local cantina for margs. So much fun, and so many happy memories of past fiestas.
- I finished reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, which is classified as a young adult novel, but feels like required reading for all ages. Thomas also gave this interview to Studio 360 about how Left Eye from TLC once saved her life. I love this author and I really think she is going to be one of the important voices of our times.
- HBO is starting to pop for the summer and I have a lot on my watchlist, including Insecure, GoT (like just about everyone else) and, right now, The Defiant Ones about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine.
- But I'm still eagerly awaiting the dance hit of the summer!
- My new favorite lunch is a salmon summer roll salad. I use the dressing from this similar salad on Epicurious, then freestyle with easy-prep veg (yesterday's was Mann's Rainbow Salad from Whole Foods), tons of mint and Thai and purple basil from my garden, and top with pan-seared salmon (Target's Simply Balanced wild-caught salmon is affordable and comes from sustainable sources) and peanuts. It takes about ten minutes to put the whole thing together and it feels like a chef made me lunch.