February is the month of love -- and my spies tell me that the thing we love best about it is that January is o-va! Here's how I celebrated. Hope yours went out with a bang!
- I loved getting together with some of my favorite Omaha influencer friends at the newest outpost of my favorite Omaha restaurant. Dante Pizzeria Napoletana is fast-fine dining — meaning you can get world-class, chef-prepared food + great vino, and be in and out in an hour. It was the perfect option a few weeks ago, when a friend of mine from NJ was in town on business and we only had a quick hour to meet before she had to catch a flight. My favorite lemon-thyme salad is still on the menu, plus a wood-roasted beet salad on a bed of crispy kale, Dante’s famous meatballs in a pool of creamy-dreamy polenta, and, of course, their legendary vero pizza Napoletana. With Omaha starting to attract new visitors (there are even a few international flights on the horizon!), it’s a damn good thing there’s going to be more Dante deliciousness to go around.
- Is Salty Seattle on your ‘gramdar? Maybe I’m the last to know, but Linda Miller Nicholson is doing insanely beautiful and cool things with pasta. Her videos and Instagram stories are my new moment of zen.
- Speaking of which, this week I kept trying to replicate the Garnet, a stunning cocktail from my friends at Gastronom blog. Mine never quite achieved the elegance of Leah and Jay’s, but I do love it so.
- A lot of my friends and family will be cheering on the Pats this weekend (or whatever. For me, it’s all about JT and the Puppy Bowl), but I’m hoping this heartbreaking piece by Emily Kelly about her husband, former NFL player Rob Kelly’s, struggles with C.T.E. will also start some important conversations.
- I have major FOMO about the Ice Maze at the Minneapolis Museum of Art. It opened Thursday night and goes through Sunday. Throughout the maze, are images of objects from MIA collection that are featured in the exhibition, ”Power and Beauty in China’s Last Dynasty: Concept and Design by Robert Wilson” which runs through the end of May so hopefully I’ll have a better chance of seeing that.
- In the meantime, we’re going to celebrate the fact that January is over by taking a mini-roadtrip to Des Moines this weekend. The girls and I explored the city's Pappajohn Sculpture Park last summer and I was overwhelmed by the world-class art that is just sitting right there in the middle of town for everyone to enjoy. I can’t wait to check out the Des Moines Art Center, which was designed by Eliel Saarinen, I.M. Pei and Richard Meier.
- Looking at the latest Inès de la Fressange collaboration with Uniqlo reminds me that A. Summer can’t stay away forever, and B. In my secret heart, I will always be an New England prep, dreaming of the French seaside.